HISTORY OF THE MT. ZION BAPTIST CHURCH 

The Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized in 1869 with a few members, all whom belonged to white churches of which their masters belonged, with Rev. Stephen Anderson as pastor.

The church started in a tobacco house belonging to Mr. Thomas Anderson (a white master) with three deacons: Bro. Overton Harris, Bro. Henry Jones and Bro. William Johnson from Hanover. Mr. Anderson having a Christian spirit gave two acres of land on which to build a church, this present site. The first church building was a log church. Rev. Tom Diggs served as pastor for a number of years. He was a loving shepherd and a faithful servant of the Lord.

As the membership increased there arose a need for better accommodations; therefore, in 1876, the first frame church was constructed. After Rev. Diggs’ death, Rev. W. L. Taylor from the Mattaponi Association was elected as pastor. He served for nine years preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and adding souls to the Kingdom. Before Rev. Taylor left, Rev. D. A. Coleman was chosen as pastor.

During Rev. Coleman’s pastorate of 25 years, he was a great religious and educational advocate. Through his influence the Mt. Zion Graded School was organized. The school proved to be a great asset to this community. Due to the increase in membership, he advised building a larger church. Due to his age and ill health, this plan was not accomplished under his leadership.

In 1918, Rev. C. W. Johnson began his pastorate and served for 15 years. Under his leadership, the former plans of Rev. Coleman materialized. This church was built and dedicated to the Lord on July 4, 1922.

Rev. Eugene Robinson began his pastorate in 1933. He was a diligent and faithful pastor until his health failed. At this time, Rev. R. J. Robertson, a son of this church, was appointed assistant pastor..

Rev. R. J. Robertson served patiently as an assistant pastor until we were blessed with Rev. E. L. Fleming as pastor. Rev. E. L. Fleming, the 7th pastor of this church took charge August, 1954 and served until the spring of 1969.

A pastor was not elected during the year of 1969. Our centennial program with the help of God was a great success. The climax of the celebration occurred on Sunday, October 26, 1969. This service was conducted by The Sixth Baptist Church of Richmond, Virginia with Rev. E. L. Fleming as pastor.

Plans were in the making to build an annex to the church. It was not until the early part of February, 1970, that the ground breaking for the annex was laid off with Rev. B. H. Giles of Montpelier as contractor.

A meeting was held in February, 1970, for the purpose of electing a pastor.The person being considered was Rev. Raymond Johnson. He was elected pastor for one year and installed on May 31, 1970.

On June 29, 1971, our hearts were saddened by the burning of the church. The fire was reported at 3:22 p.m. and at 3:26 p.m. the first fire unit arrived on the scene. Units responded from Montpelier, Ashland, Rockville, Beaverdam, Farrington, and Holly Grove. The Mt. Olivet Baptist Church opened it doors so that we could have our worship services.

On October 17, 1971, at 3:30 p.m., a Ground Breaking Ceremony was held on the site of the old grounds. Rev. Charles Simms, Pastor of the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, served as master of ceremonies for this occasion. Among those participating were Rev. Raymond Johnson, Miss Mary L. Dabney, Ms. Edna Booker and all of the trustees and deacons.

During the long months of rebuilding, Rev. Johnson stressed to the members about rebuilding a new Mt. Zion in our hearts; not looking too much at the building.

On April 6, 1972, contractor Rev. B. H. Giles started on the new church. Many months passed by. On July 29, 1973, pews arrived and were installed. The first service was held in the church on Sunday, August 27, 1973, Homecoming Day. The evangelist for the week was Rev. Horace Scruggs. On September 1, 1973, Cornerstone laying services were held at 10 o’clock a.m. The services were conducted by Rev. Benjamin Jackson.

On the first Sunday in September, dedication services began and continued through December 1, 1973. On December 1, 1973, the guest speaker was Rev. Charles Simms. Under Rev. Johnson’s leadership, full-time service was incorporated into the church program, the church was rebuilt and the mortgage burned on Sunday, November 28, 1976 at 8:00 P.M.

Rev. Ricardo Haynes, began serving as the ninth pastor of the church on Sunday, September 4, 2011. He was installed on Sunday, October 23, 2011.

Mt. Zion’s tenth pastor, Rev. Larry Lewis, was installed on Sunday, April 19, 2015.






The Church E-mail address